Wednesday, October 27, 2010

Reminder: vote "for" people - not "against" them

This story from Europe (possibly Sweden?) made me guffaw, but now that we politicos are in GOTV mode, it makes me serious for a moment. We've been conditioned to "vote the bums" out or off or whatever. When you cast your vote, remember that you are placing your hope in a candidate and voting for them. So much for preaching - hope you enjoy the anecdote:


A young girl of 18 or 19, clearly a first-time voter, skips the line and rushes up to a poll worker’s table.

Poll worker: “I’m sorry, you’ll have to wait. There’s a line.”

Voter: “I’m sorry, but it’s important! I need to get my ballot paper back. I voted for the wrong person!”

Poll worker: “Alright, give me the spoiled one.”

Voter: “I can’t. I put it in the box.”

Poll worker: “Then I’m afraid we can’t get it back. The boxes can’t be opened until the end of voting at ten o’clock.”

Voter: “But I didn’t know! I don’t want the Conservatives to get in so I voted for [Conservative candidate]. I should have voted for someone else!”

Poll worker: “Um, why did you vote for the Conservative?”

(The girl turns scarlet and looks utterly miserable.)

Voter: “I thought it was like TV where you vote them off!”

1 comment:

  1. Konfused like Korn...
    but, yet, thats alright.
    Not many art going Upstairs
    till after the Rapture.
    Whats the Rapture, dear?
    Follow our blogOwamma
    to Seventh-Heaven, girl...

    ReplyDelete